MARCHARS RIDING CLUB RULES
Dressage Rules & Dress Code
- Short, plain, dark coloured jacket or conservative tweed jacket.
- Plain white, cream or beige breeches/jodhpurs.
- Black or brown top boots or jodhpur boots with same colour gaiters/chaps.
- Cream or white long/short sleaved shirt with correctly tied stock or tie.
- Gloves must be worn and should be of a light colour. (white, beige, cream)
- Body protectors may be worn.
- Earrings should not be worn. They could be a hazard in the event of a fall.
- For hats see page 6 of this newsletter
- May be worn by Seniors only and there should be NO SHARP POINTS. Excessive use of spurs will be heavily penalized and may result in elimination.
- Are permitted but must not be used excessively or carried in a manner that might upset other horses in the warm up area. They are an aid in the dressage arena and should not be used in anger. They may not be picked up if dropped during a test.
- When saluting, the reins and whip are held in one hand, the free hand is lowered to the side and the rider should nod the head.
- Should be plain brown, black, grey or navy and English in style. (No Western saddles)
- Treeless and Side Saddles are permitted.
- The rider’s boots must not be fixed to the stirrup.
- Saddle covers are not permitted but gel pads or memory foam seat savers are.
- Only a Single Bridle with snaffle bit may be used for Intro, Prelim & Novice tests. A double bridle may be used at Elementary level. (or a single)
- Nose bands are compulsory. Drop, flash or cavesson nose bands are used with the single bridle but only the cavesson is permitted with a double. Drop nose bands & flash straps must lie in the chin groove.
- Breastplates, breast girths & cruppers are permitted.
- Neck straps may be used in Intro& Prelim classes.
- Balancing straps are permitted. (loop in front of saddle)
- Bitguards, tongue straps, martingales, side reins, draw reins, reins with elastic insets, horse ear plugs, boots, bandages & blinkers are all prohibited.
- Please note that exercise boots or bandages may be worn in the warm up area but must be removed prior to the test. Failure to do so may result in elimination.
- Ear covers/fly fringes are permitted during outdoor summer competitions. They must be discreet & not cover the horse’s eyes.
- Nose nets are permitted. They should be discreet, black, white or brown and cover the nose only. The mouth and bit must be visible.
- Commanders may be used in all tests but any other outside assistance given that might help the competitor improve their performance during a test could result in elimination.
- At the Judge’s discretion, any Junior competitor experiencing extreme difficulties may finish the test H.C. with the assistance of a leading rein.
- The use of the voice is prohibited and will result in the loss of 2 marks for each and every movement it is used.
- Entering before the signal to start or failure to start within 45 seconds following the signal (bell) will result in a 2 mark penalty. Prolonged failure to enter may result in elimination.
- In all tests up to and including Elementary the trot movement may be executed sitting or rising. (Please be aware that sitting trot requires a good degree of engagement from the horse.)
- After the test is completed please leave the arena at A.
- If a horse or pony steps outside of the arena during the test, then two points are deducted for the mark given for the movement being performed at that time. Should all four feet leave the arena, then the competitor may be eliminated (at the judge’s discretion).